Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Finished Raphael and some kissy scribbles.





Raphael belongs to Yuki, who can be found at http://lustredesquelettes.blogspot.com/ .  I love Raphael to itty bitty bits, but I have a hell of a time drawing him.  For a full color mixed media piece, I don't feel like this took too much time, but I might be underestimating it. When I start working on something, whether it's artwork or a task of some sort, I have the tendency to become very focused and can work at it for long periods of time.  Fortuitously, my order from Jetpens came in with my new pilot choose pens ( gold and white ) and some various other supplies, so I went a little wild with them! I'll probably do a materials post tomorrow once my holbein ink comes in, or maybe I'll do an entire post on inks. Part of the joy in creating artwork for me is learning new ways to use tools and exploring new mediums, so I think the things I learn might be nice to share.

I wasn't really planning this picture, really. I was using this page in my sketchbook as a blotting page to clean my texture stamps, and I got a little bored and started fiddling with a paintbrush. I decided I liked the background and sketched a bit onto it, and the sketch developed into Raphael. I've been listening to a lot of ambient electronic music lately by an artist called Burial, and I think I blame Archangel for how this picture came out. Anyway, I was trying to keep the end result a little unfinished looking, but I think I got a little too meticulous in blending and sort of destroyed that tentative balance. It's alright though, because I kind of like the result.





What can I say, cuddly dudes make me happy. Yuki pointed out that I make Lucifer more muscular every time I draw him, and she's totally right. Canta still looks like a chick, but he always looks like a chick. He's gender neutral so it's awwwwright. You might be able to see some of the thumbnails on the back of the page for a holiday fluff story I'm working on, but I haven't even started to draw it yet. I'm sort of waiting for a program I scored off of ebay to come in before I get on with it.

On that note, I am going to finish my grapefruit and start on some ATCs.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a material post, because I love your colorations. Maybe I learn something new then *___*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're still drawing things every bit as beautifully as you did years ago, but with that same self-flagellation you love to impose on yourself about the quality of you work.

    I am so happy to see your drawings again. I rather missed your style. Goodness knows, I had a million random little sketches you had me look at on my old computer.

    ...Is that the same Canta you used to tell me about? Or have you abandoned some of your darlings?

    >.>Do you still talk about Raen and his brother? How about the strange puppet like creature who traumatized me quite sufficiently?
    I wonder about these random things. I have an assortment of strange detailed memories regarding things you told me about your creation. It's like the rejected version of a mental storage facility.

    <3 Your pictures are so lovely.

    -Jade/JadeIllusion/old euphorias_child/etcetera (under one of my other pseudonyms)

    Contact me sometime: AIM- myliferedone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jade! :D

    You know, I don't think I've actively discarded any of my various muses, so this is very likely to be the same Canta as before, but more skillfully drawn, to be sure. Haha.

    As for Raen and Jupitor, they are still prominent fixtures in my brain and I still write for and draw them. I have a post a few entries back with some height comparisons, and Jupitor makes an appearance in the sketch.

    -You're- Lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, hello again Akoe. <3 You've always been so sweet.

    I know. The nasty thing about characters is that even if you do try to drop them, they have a way of coming back to you especially after so much love and effort has been poured into them. I tend to imagine mine a bit like ghosts on the brain.

    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Christmas holidays kept me busy. <3 Hope you had a wonderful seasonal experience thus far and I hope to catch up with you soon!

    -Jade. ^^;;

    These different blogs get so complicated in their methods for message delivery. It makes me feel old.

    ReplyDelete