Saturday, December 10, 2011

Deleter Scenery Collection

I found two of the Deleter Scenery collection books a few days ago, and being extremely lazy with drawing backgrounds, I snapped them up. Last night, I decided to mess around with them! I started with this:




 I'm actually kind of fond of this because I like the chandelier design. The only thing here is that Koren looks a little too much like Jupitor in the face. Okay, so with the drawing lined and cleaned up a little in photoshop, I scanned in the stock image of a bar from one of the scenery books and slapped Koren onto it.



The original image is straight black and white, but I made a layer under it and threw some gray on it just to see how it looks. I'm not very good with traditional comic toning in photoshop, so I'm trying out alternate ways to make shading and definition look good. I'll probably try to get a better handle on toning in the future though, because I'm not really sure how I like the straight grays. Also, as much as I like the relative ease of using the stock images to spiff up a picture's background, I think my line-art style is a little too curvy to make it look totally cohesive.

I do like the Scenery books and I'll probably use them in my comics, but I need to get better at making them look like they belong where I've placed them. Also, I know the flipped image of Koren creates continuity problems with his eyes, but I don't really care. I was just fiddling around, really.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment